From:
Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:00:56 -0600
We have a fairly large ceramic collection (our area was home to several
large potteries throughout the first half of the 20th C.), and we store
our dinnerware on metal shelves lined with Ethafoam.  Our shelf heights
are set at 8 inch intervals, and we try to keep the dishes in a single
layer (although that does take up a lot of room, so occasionally we do
stack sets of dinnerware, with a layer of Ethafoam between each dish).
I prefer to store the dishes upside-down, so I can see their accession
numbers without having to handle the plates (assuming, of course, the
rims are intact and uniform enough to bear the weight of the piece).

I seem to recall seeing somewhere (possibly on this list) that vinyl
and wax LPs were better stored on-edge rather than flat--has anyone
tried this with dinner plates?

Tim McShane, Assistant--Cultural History
Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery
1302 Bomford Crescent S.W.
Medicine Hat, AB   T1A 5E6
(403) 502-8587

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/14/02 08:46AM >>>

I am in the process  of reorganizing and re-storing (not restoring) a
collection of 18th and 19th century dinnerware, some sets, but mostly
individual pieces.  I am wondering how other historical organizations
are storing their plates... looking for alternative solutions.  We have
2 foot deep metal open-sided shelves, and the complete
collection(including the plates) takes up about 25 shelves.

Thank you,

Andrea Mercado

Volunteer, Museum of History and Industry, Seattle, WA.

Staff, Birthplace of Seattle Log House Museum, Seattle, WA