From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:59:35 -0800
Oh, goodness!  This topic frequently caused a ruckus.

Salaries are going to vary from institution to
institution, and specifically from geographical
locale.  Be sure to ask where someone is when they
give you a figure.  New York is going to pay
differently than Nantucket or Nome.

Once you get a figure from someone, translate it to
the locale you want to live in or do live in.  There's
a cost of living factor.  If someone tells you it pays
$150,000, and they live in an expensive town, if you
put that down on your job application, you may just be
pricing yourself right out of an opportunity.

Use this tool, found in the Topics section of my
employment web site--always in my signature file--and
entitled Salary Calculator to translate one figure to
your area's equivalent wages.

As an example, the median price of a home in
California is now $409,000.  Understandably, the wages
in CA may be slightly more inflated than they are in
an area where the median price of a home is $100,000.

http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html?NETSCAPE_LIVEWIRE.src=homefair

--- Carrie Barnett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> As a Senior in Art History I am beginning the always
> fun job search routine.  I was
> wondering if there was anyone who could give me some
> idea of starting salaries in
> the museum industry.  I will have a BA and have done
> a museum based internship.  I
> would be interested in working with the registrar or
> as an assistant to a curator.  I
> also have some experience with children.  Any
> ideas??  I want to be able to go into
> interviews with some idea of what to ask for in
> terms of salary.  Also, if anyone knows
> of any job openings that would be great as well.
> Thanks, Carrie Barnett

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414