From:
Victor Wong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 23:05:24 GMT
In case you might not be aware of it, the Fine Arts Museum of
San Francisco and the UC Berkeley Computer Science Department
is almost finished with a project to put high resolution versions of their
70,000 images online. It is available now at www.thinker.org.

If you select one of the "Zoom" images, it will be served from
the Berkeley system, which consists of 20 PCs and 400 disks.
The zoom range is a factor of 32, allowing you to see details that
sometimes would require a magnifying glass on the original object.

We currently have over 40,000 of the images converted into the "zoomable"
format and available now, and hope to finish by the remaining 30,000 by end of
summer.

In addition to the "zoomable" images, which will work with any browser,
we also have the full size images (2000x3000 in TIFF format) if for some
reason they were needed.(Permission would have to be obtained from the
FAMSF for the full images.)

I encourage you all to try it out.  again, the URL is http://www.thinker.org