From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:16:58 -0700
A short ad-on to my previous post...

--- [log in to unmask] wrote:

> To bring a dog into the workplace or gallery area is thus inconsiderate of
others.

When I worked in an office where dogs were allowed, the dogs were usually
flopped out under the owner's desk for most of the day. We would occasionally
play fetch or tug with them and anyone who came to the door got a warm welcome
from the pooches (except for the UPS man that one dog always barked at. Go
fig.)

On the flip side, I've been at offices were people have brought in their kids
because they were out of school or sick and didn't have a sitter. While some
were well-behaved, I've been around many who were unholy terrors that were left
to their own devices. Sometimes, other people got stuck with babysitting. While
I feel confident that my dog doesn't need to have an eye kept on it all the
time, you cannot do that with young children. It's one thing if you have your
own office and can contain them, it's another if you are in a cube farm or
shared office and they are constantly running around. Personally, I think
children are more of a liability in an office than a well-behaved dog it. Your
dog can't take the elevator and get lost in the building or get locked in the
fire stairs or take every pencil in the office and sharpen them so much that
all you are left with are little nubs or scribble over every dry-erase board
and leave the caps off the markers so that they dry out.

Deb