From:
Adrienne DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:32:45 -0700
Hello again--
        I think that the expectation that we Americans should be able to
work and live in Europe goes back to the post-WWII years, about 1946 to
about 1970, when an Am. really could live cheaply and even pick up a
halfway decent job if he/she wanted to live on for a while in Paris, or
wherever.  This expectation, overlooking, as has been said, our country's
own restrictive work and residence rules for foreigners, continues on with
some force today.  I've lived as a student and a teacher in Italy for
several years altogether, and every term there was at least one poor
deluded student who brought much less money than suggested, thinking that
of course it would be easy to land a job because of course everyone wants
to hire an American.  It's always been my own opinion that such people
would be deeply put out if they had to deal with a non-English-speaking
tourist here, and would quite probably rage if that person got a job they
or their friend had wanted.

        Adrienne DeAngelis