From:
Rusty Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:36:46 -0400
We get a lot of work out of our interns, and they inject an energy into the
organization that is welcomed.  Sometimes an intern will develop something
new that no one knew we needed.  We have three right now, two college and
one high school student.

We've had some problems given the variety of skill sets and abilities,
matching those skills to tasks, and just taking the time to manage interns.
Encouraging lots of communication has also served us well.  Many on the list
probably have some experience with an intern's causing a minor disaster here
and there.  I once gave an intern, a really good one, a complex scheduling
task that I managed less than closely, and that job was done twice -  once
by the intern, once by me after the intern did not take into account what he
couldn't possibly have known since I didn't tell him where to be sensitive
to conflicts.  So I learned a lot from that intern, and he learned a lot
from me (not all of it good).

From my p.o.v., interns who spend more hours at the museum both give and get
more out of their experiences.  One day a week for two hours never seems
like enough.  The interns who are here 8+ hours a week take away more.
Things they are looking for include experience, learning, and the tangible
rewards of money (although we haven't paid an intern in two years, it's not
a bad practice at all).

Rusty Baker
Susquehanna Art Museum
Harrisburg "home of the monkey trial" PA