From:
Ellen Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 1994 22:07:59 -0500
Hello everyone,
        I've been on the list for a couple months now and have noticed
people introducing themselves.  I have no idea if this is common, but figure
it may help.  My name is Ellen Schwartz and I'm a former and future museum
professional (education).  I have entered the liminal status of grad school
and cursing it all the way.  I'm in anthropology and had been advised that a
PhD was a necessity for anthro museums.  I tend to agree only in terms of the
changing job market and the need for more and more "qualifications."
        I have continued volunteering and doing part-time museum work, but I
truly feel out of the loop.  This list helps.  Recently I've been reading
some of the essays in <Gender Perspectives>.  I would be very interested in
hearing from people who attended the 1990 conference at the Smithsonian or the
1986 conference "Women's Changing Roles in Museums."  Is anyone a member of the
group organized at the Natl. Mus. of American History?  Is there a list or a
group on this list of feminists who communicate with each other concerning
the intersections of feminism and museums?  I would really love to hear from
you.  At my previous museum, I was able to bring a feminist perspective to our
exhibits and programs, but it does not seem to be of wide-spread concern.
Please respond to me personally, as I realize not everyone shares my interest.
Thanks
Ellen Schwartz