From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:07:13 -0600
Hi,

Townsend and Smoke & Fire do sell items that go into the 1700-1800 and even
1900s,
such as living history articles/clothing for Hudson's Bay voyageurs,
mountain men and
Oregon Trail pioneer clothing items that can be used and is period.   I use
them all the
time in building my living history clothing suitcase.

They also have patterns that may be just right for you.  I believe you can
get
free catalogues from them....and see if what they have will fit your
programs.

Some of the larger living history parks and museums may also be able to help
you with your clothing.   Sutter's Fort (did not see the original post.....
;o)  )
did an excellent research on clothing for their period.  Other museums
around
more related to your period, likely have the same thing.

Fort Vancouver National Park (WA) also has an excellent clothing department.
Jerry
there is a professional making cloths and in the historical aspect of
clothing from
the 1600 to 1840s.   Should cover your time frame.   Fort Walla Walla Museum
(WA)
has a textile collection of clothing going into the 1900s.   So should cover
your
period.  This Is The Place Heritage Park (UT) has a clothing/costume
department,
with research on the pioneer period (1840s-1896 era).

You could also check with filming companies that specialize in doing
documentations....

Wow!  How about checking with PBS and their "original" clothing for the
Frontier House series.  ;o)    They also have done other programs of various
periods that would
fit your needs.   You may also want to check with local exhibit vendors and
contractors.
They have resources with clothing/props, etc. for museum exhibits they do,
and may be
able to help you.

Yes, also having a professional sew them...another excellent avenue as
mentioned.

You may also want to do a search on the exact time-frame -- I've done that
and it
really helps you locate what you want and provides resources for costumes.

Best,
John
(the job seeking, unemployed director, curator, educator [and so much more]
who would appreciate work)
http://www.geocities.com/jpmart1