From:
Ava Wilkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:04:13 -0400
We use plunger type contacts on cases.  These can be installed so when opened the plunger pops out and triggers an alarm.  These contacts could
be wired to an existing security system.  I would also suggest a glassbreak detector in the area so if someone breaks the glass rather than opening the case, it would trigger the alarm.  You would incur cost of the equipment, a service call fee and labor of a technician to install it.

If you do not have a security system currently at minimum you will need a control panel, a keypad to arm and disarm the alarm with a code, a siren (if audible), a plunger contact for the case and a glassbreak detector (if budget allows).  Any reputable company should be able to come out and assess the situation for no charge and give you a quote to install such equipment. This may seem like over kill, but keep in mind that most control panels come standard with at least six zones, so you can add additional equipment later as your needs change.

Will it be monitored by a security company?  You will incur a monthly fee for monitoring, but if you do not have security personnel on staff this would be necessary.  The security company can call representatives at your organization and the authorities in whatever order you choose.  Their response time is usually under 30 seconds from receiving an alarm to attempting to contact someone.

In the future as budget allows I would consider a camera with a recording device in this area as well.  It sounds like this is a high ticket item and needs 24 hour surveillance.

I know security is sometimes an afterthought of exhibit design, but it as the cliché goes "it is always better to be safe than sorry!"

I this was not information overload and at least somewhat helpful...

Thanks
Ava Wilkey
Registration Assistant
Atlanta History Center