From:
"Paul Apodaca." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 1994 21:30:28 -0800
Deward Walker writes : Am I confused in my understanding that the Tribes were to
>control this process?
RE : NAGPRA

NAGPRA is a Federal Law administered by the Federal Government through a
Federal Agency (Parks Service). How could native people control that. The
Metzger Bill sought to establish sovereign links between tribal governments
and the US for the return of remains and sacred materials. The Metzger Bill
was defeated after a massive letter writing campaign by the
Federally-sponsored American Association of Museums. NAGPRA was inserted in
its place so as to return remains but not force a recognition of tribal
sovereignty. Winning the battle but losing the war. Under NAGPRA, tribal
governments are lowered to equal status with museums by Federal law.
Where was everybody when the Metzger Bill was being argued? Where was
everybody when the Supreme Court ruled two years ago in Yakima Indian Tribe
versus Yakima County et. al that reservations can be taken apart by tax
collectors and that the 1887 Dawes Act that allowed for land rushes is
still in effect? Call the Supreme court or your congressman and get the
decisions for yourself. I think a lot of people are confused

Paul Apodaca