From:
Suzannah Schatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 06:03:16 PDT
Dear list members:

I am an archivist for an architectural firm and we have on of the best
digital cameras on the market. There are still major resolution and
permanence issues. With slides, one gets an image that can be printed 36 X
36" but with a digital camera, the image should not be printed larger than
the original image because then you start losing pixelation. The other issue
is longevity, because if you have a slide you often get dupes made so the
likelyhood of corrupting or getting a damaged image is lessened. One could
burn digital images on a CD but the lives of CD's are only 10 years
(supposedly). The other issue is people are less likely to go through CD's
than they are to go through binders or slide drawers. The other issue is
computer platform, if they are burned in PC format, Macintosh computers can
also use them but if they are burned in Mac format than PCs can't read them!
This issue is important in our office where we may eventually phase out the
macs in favor of sophisticated PCs.

Sincerely,

Suzannah Schatt

Museum-L" (without the quotes).