From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:21:05 -0700
> On 6/29/05 4:15 PM, "Julia Moore" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> I have always wanted to write a thesis on the portrayal of contemporary
>> art in the history of American sitcoms.  Just about every sitcom I have
>> seen (and I am a fan of the genre if they are intelligently written) has
>> had at least one episode dedicated to the topic, and some keep returning
>> to it. I think it's very important for those of us who work in the field
>> to understand what the prevailing attitudes are about what we do in
>> order to adjust how we present and interpret it.

One of my pet annoyances is how TV shows featuring characters who are
supposed to be artists seem always to be represented by the work of bad
illustrators.  The typical scene is a loft with easels, with a smattering of
figure, torso, or charcoal/pastel head drawings scattered around the studio,
done in the most banal of illustrative styles.  This, apparently, is what
producers think says "artist" to the watching masses.  As if since
Impressionism, nothing to the contrary had seeped into public
consciousness...

/s

_____________________________________
S t e p h e n    N o w l i n