From:
Joy Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 11:07:19 -0500
I am posting this from my colleague, who sincerely sympathizes with your
problem:

Candace, a friend sent me your email about your sticky situation and let me
say off the bat that I commiserate and I had a similar experience: mine was
an African American and Jewish fracas following (not too soon after but not
long enough after) the Crown Heights murder.

Anyway what I learned were the following things from my experience and the
experience of Susan Talbot when she was director of the Southeastern Center
for Contemporary Art (# 1 won't help you now):

1. Examine the artists objectives and goals of the show as well as the art
before accepting it, especially if you have reason to believe that there
could be a political hot potato. By doing this you can (1) refuse if you
don't want a hot potato on your hands or (2) plan proactively for the hot
potato.

2. For hot potato exhibits -- (1) identify why you want to do this exhibit
and be prepared to defend it to the death -- remember Mapplethorpe in
Cincinnati. If you AND YOUR BOARD won't defend the artist from criticism
then don't do the show. It makes you look weak to open a show and then close
it due to criticism. (2) Identify what  potential groups will be incensed
and invite their leaders to meet with the board, to tour the exhibit and to
hear from you about why you think this show is worthwhile. Set it up as an
exploration and not a challenge, threat. Maybe have an objective moderator--
in your case a highly respected religious or educational leader. (3) Promote
opportunities for these groups to express their fears and anger and seek to
find common ground. negotiate if necessary. (4) Warn the artist that there
may be some negotiating going on and certain pieces maybe pulled (of course
if that wrecks the theme of the show that will be another problem). (5) Make
decisions based on the meetings and what you are willing to undertake and
defend. (6) Always go back to your mission, is this relevant?

For your immediate Situation:

1. You must now pull apart the threads of this complex story and get to the
real issues and help the artist understand that you, your board and staff
are not prepared to defend his political position -- you thought you were
just getting an exhibition of fraktur (right?) so this is really unfair and
you have not had time to prepare the community so that this is a powerful
and positive transformative process and not a debacle with parties
entrenched.  You can view this show (if he removes the offending parts) as
the first step towards a series of exhibits that might eventually lead to
transformation of  beliefs about homosexuality in your community. But ground
work has to be laid for this to be successful.  You may loose funding,
membership, participation (what will it do to your school and children's
programs?).  Is he willing at this point to forgive the past hurts and move
toward reconciliation over the long term or is he seeking a battle ground
and you are it?

Best of luck. Let me know how it goes.

Shellie Williams
Director, East Coast