From:
"Erik P. Mansoor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 22:34:51 -0700
Although I'm not entirely alone in my views I'm certainly outnumbered here.
I'll try and answer some of the most recent posts and then I'll give it a rest.

To Claudia Nicholson: I wouldn't (and didn't) use the word offensive. I am
not offended by the NEA or NEH, I simply believe that the money which goes
to them and from them would be more effectively used if it were done at a
more local level, either state, county, city or specific local board. I
believe someone by the name of "Hodcarry" echoed my opinion on this point.
Julia Moore predicted that eventually this will happen with NEA money going
to the states.

Someone on the list cited some statistics which showed how much time we
spend working for various agencies. First, statistics can be manipulated to
support just about any position. Second, it misses my point, which is that I
don't believe government at the federal level should be collecting money and
redistributing it for this purpose.

To Julia Moore: Sorry, poor choice of words on my part
"legitimate/illegitimate."

As to whether or not people would give more freely to various non-profit
organizations, I don't rely on studies but rather on my own personal
inclinations. I'm not likely to give to an organization that is already
receiving my money via taxes.

Some of you were able to sway me slightly but I still haven't changed my
opinion. I'll continue to read whatever is posted.

Erik Mansoor