From:
Karen Eckstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:53:05 -0500
Hi.  Our board is looking as changing our current procedure of capitalizing
purchased additions to the collection.  I have been reading that it is
acceptable to capitalize the collection only if you capitalize all the
collection, even those items donated, or capitalize none of the collection.

What does your institution do?_The National Cowboy Hall of Fame and Western
Heritage Center capitalizes all purchases and donations to the permanent
collection.  With purchases the amount spent to purchase the item plus any
freight and/or permanent installation costs is used as the value of the
asset.  For donated items the current value at the time of the donation is
used as its "book" value.

I will compile the results and send them back out through the list.

Thank you

Ann Rybon
Controller

Museum-L" (without the quotes).