From:
Christian C Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 15:18:50 -0800
----------
From: Ken Hallcom <[log in to unmask]>
To: CHRIS BURKE <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Labor Practices
Date: Wednesday, December 17, 1997 9:47 AM

Chris, in response to the inquiry concerning court restitution labor, I
tried using such individuals in the early stages of our development.  I
attempted to restrict the type of offenders, authorizing people who had
committed traffic violations and non-violent infractions,only.
Unfortunately, the effort was more trouble than it was worth.  Most of
these community service individuals consider their sentences comparable to
that of a forced labor camp.  They require constant supervision and
frequently exhibit attitude problems.  My major concerns, however, turned
to the insurance implications when one of the workers, placed under my
guardianship, got hurt on the job.  That was not fun at all!
I think you will find the internship program the safest and most effective.
 These people are learning a profession, are more than anxious to perform
the mundane duties nobody else wants,  and are receiving minimum monetary
rewards for their efforts.  As an extra bonus,  you receive a degree of
loyality, completely absent from the ranks of prison labor.  Thanks

Ken Hallcom
Director of Facilities
Richard Nixon Presidential Library
Yorba Linda, CA  92886