From:
"Susan M. Ward" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 1996 19:33:08 EDT
Maurice D. Smith, Curator, Marine Museum of the Great Lakes wrote:
<<There is one activity that the county museums can do far better than
the large museums in city centres and that is develop collections
related to their regions. In the province of Ontario for example we have
slightly under 200 community based museums recognized by the provincial
government. They are    more effective in preserving provincial
history than the Royal Ontario Musuems of the world but under the
present political climate 'those thats got, gets'. So the rest of us
starve because we cannot muster the hype and the connections.
Yes we do suffer from exhibits that in many cases are boring and passive
but do not forget that in those storage rooms are the collections that will
in time provide the material of understanding.>>

I agree--mostly! <s>  Smaller museums have a critical role regarding local
collecting.  And my recommendation as to partnerships is one--of many
possibilities--for helping to "muster the hype and the connections."  On the
other hand, I think that there has to be a connection made between what's in
those storage rooms, and the public.  I *do* understand the challenges (having
worked at a small historic site myself), but the collections will not "provide
the material of understand" if the objects aren't pulled out of storage and
displayed in engaging, intriguing, and fun ways. <IMHO>

Susan M. Ward
Director, Heritage Communications
615-661-6336