From:
Reagan Duplisea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:50:07 -0600
I would like to reiterate Amy Cunningham's emphasis on finding internships
at small museums. You may not get paid but the experiences you will gain are
invaluable.  Small museums are often understaffed and underfunded and
therefore are ecstatic to receive any free/cheap help.  I had a fantastic
experience interning at Leighton House Museum in London through a study
abroad program with my university. While the British Museum or the Tate
would have perhaps looked more prestigious on my resume, I'm sure that I
would have been relegated to "lowly" intern duties, while at Leighton House,
I assisted the curator with hanging an exhibition my first day on the job.
I was extremely blessed in that the curator took me completely under his
wing and taught me not only HOW to do things but WHY things are done a
certain way.

Again, interning at a small museum will introduce you to the many tasks and
responsibilities that museum professionals have to deal with and be
knowledgeable in, from security issues to research to event planning. By
assisting with all different aspects, you will gain experience and learn
what areas you would like to eventually focus on. For example, I LOVED
working with the artworks (sending, receiving, cataloging, insurance) and
therefore I'm hoping to pursue a registrar position someday.

Above all, do not dismiss any opportunities you may have at small museums,
but take advantage of all you can and any research before you start will
show your dedication to the internship.

Best regards,
Reagan Duplisea

Try MSN Messenger 6.0 with integrated webcam functionality!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_webcam