From:
Stephanie James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 02:44:53 GMT
I am one such graduate student (University of Toronto) and I take exception
to your comments.

Although it may be true that there is a "labour market oversupply",  I
think that if you looked in any labour market, you would find similar
patterns in this period of global economic recovery.

As far as your comments about North American training methods, I don't know
to which programmes you referred.  The programme at the University of
Toronto is highly competitive, structured, limited in size and is a balance
between academic theory and practical experience.

I believe that my training at the University of Toronto will make me
competitive for any job that should arise within my area of interest.  The
North American system of "free-form" (if that's what it is called) is more
structured than you believe and it offers the opportunity for creativity
yet discipline.  Although I may be new to the museum field, I don't think
that these would be considered flaws.

Visit the University of Toronto Museum Studies Home Page at:

        http://www.utoronto.ca/museum/museum.htm

Stephanie James

Henry Grunder <[log in to unmask]> wrote in article