From:
David Maschino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 15:48:47 -0400
We use two types of controllers and have experimented with others. The museum is located in an old stone building on campus and controlling ambient Rh is not a possibility, so we control just the case environment and then only the Rh. The temperature is allowed to swing w/ the season.
One controller was made by the Malone Design firm under the name of Artifact Protection Systems. It is a closed system controlling a large, air tight case containing a high end model ship. The Rh has held w/in 2% for the last five years. I have recharged the desiccant (clay in bags) once and
added one gallon of de-ionized water in those five years. Its also very quiet and needs only to be plugged into electric. APS # is 770-808-4111.
The other system controls dozens of cases that leak air (one change+/hour). It is made in Canada by Micro Climate Technology. Their # is 905-637-8191. The MCT controller is capable of controlling Rh to 5000 sq.ft of leaky cases to w/in 5% of set point. Our system has proved to control w/in 2%.
This system has a definite hum and needs deionized or demineralized water piped in along w/ electric. The controlled air is "piped" via plastic, flexible tubing.
I am very satisfied w/ both of these options.

Dave Maschino
Exhibit Coordinator
The Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum
Bowdoin College
Brunswick, Maine

Bridget Jones wrote:

> If anyone on the list has recently upgraded or invested in climate control
> equipment would you please contact be with the type/maker and what you think
> of it?...We are a historic house museum and do have an existing system, but
> the humidifier/dehum. unit is defunct and we need to upgrade.  Any
> recommendations would be appreciated...Thanks in advance.
> Bridget Jones
> Sam Rayburn House Museum
> Bonham, TX

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ museum-l.html. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

> [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).