Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:57:55 -0600
Susan,

One option to consider would be to loan the collection to the city.  We've had that situation, where we had out of custody collections at a nearby museum, and it was a 25 year loan.  Perhaps you could work something out where the loan would be for a long length of time, but would also be renewable.  That way the city should feel more secure.  But also within the loan specifications, be sure that the historical society would be in charge of all copyrights, images and decisions about loaning to other institutions.   (whatever the society feels they need to have control over)   Just an idea...

Deborah Winton
Registrar, IARC
School of American Research
Santa Fe, NM

>>> Susan <[log in to unmask]> 08/16/01 07:44AM >>>
I work for a newly formed (1999) 501 c 3 organization that will operate a
museum which is currently being built with city funds.  The city will own
the museum building, and the collections of the museum will be provided by
another 501 c3 organization which has been collecting artifacts and
documents since the early 1980's.  The museum and the Historical Society
have been meeting to negotiate the transfer of the collection over to the
museum as well as to discuss other issues such as membership and
programming.  Last week, while meeting with city officials regarding the
museum project, they indicated, for the first time, that they want the
Historical Society to transfer ownership of the collection to the city.
They are concerned that if there is ever a falling out with the museum
board, the board might move the collection out of the museum building.

I do not want the city to own the collections because a) I don't think they
know the responsibility they would be taking on and the special care
collections need b)it will give the city an excuse for getting involved in
the day to day operations of the museum,ie.  We own the collection and we
want you to do this c)it will complicate the governance structure of the
museum-staff which would oversee collection currently works for the museum
not the city.

I would appreciate hearing from others their opinion regarding this.  Oh,
to complicate matters even further, right now the city is pretty much the
sole source of funding for the museum.  HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!