Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:48:10 -0700
Hello all... new reader, first time poster here.  I joined this list  to listen and learn from professionals in this fascinating business.  Most specifically, to become more knowledgeable about your aims and ideas for reaching people who have no idea how enjoyable a museum visit can be.

I'm particularly intrigued by the visitor evaluations thread, but from a completely different angle.  While you, as museum professionals, are finding the best ways to query visitors, I am even more interested in what they had to say.

I work for a facility that specializes in creating audio tours.  So, I am constantly on the prowl for feedback - to find new ideas and ways to engage a visitor's interest in exhibits - regardless of genre.  This is especially rewarding when doing tours geared toward helping children comprehend and enjoy history and, hopefully, planting an insatiable curiousity into their budding minds.

Since I'm a firm believer that there are no learning disabilities, just teaching (or presentation) disabilities,  the more we learn about what triggers a visitor's involvment, the more effective and diverse our supplemental audio guides can be.

The question.. (do I hear a sigh of relief out there?)... would you mind sharing the results of these evaluations for the rest of us?  Or, is there some form of marketing database I have not yet found that compiles valuable information like visitor reactions to exhibit presentation, docents, cyberdocents,  etc. for us to explore?  Also, have you found that adding interactive technology to your exhibits has been reflected in your attendance statistics?

Other than that, I truly find most of these discussions fascinating.  Thank you all for wonderful tidbits of information that increase my understanding and respect for the museum world. Of course, I do get occasional pangs of regret, wishing I had been better at chemistry and specialized in restoration.  But I suppose I shall be content in adding my talents to the fray and do my part in helping to make museums a favored pastime of humanity.

My thanks for your response.

Terri FIyalko

--
Newton-Bard