From:
Lenora Henson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:49:26 -0400

Dear Colleagues –

We are grappling with the issue of barriers in the restored rooms of our

historic house museum.  Some staff members favor 2 ft tall stanchions as

less visually obtrusive, while others are concerned that such barriers are

merely a suggestion and will be ineffective.  Here are some of the

questions we have for those of you who have experience using stanchions in

similar settings:

- Overall, are you pleased with the stanchions?  What are the

advantages/drawbacks?

- Given the choice, would you continue to use stanchions, or find an

alternative?  If you’d prefer another option, please explain why.

- What would you consider to be the optimum height for stanchions?

- Does the size of the room in which stanchions are used impact their

effectiveness?

- How far apart are your stanchions (from each other)?

- Do you find that stanchions are more/less effective with particular

audiences? (eg, children vs adults)

- Are stanchions effective with large groups?  (Most visitors will be led

through the house by an interpreter in small groups, but we occasionally

have “open house”-type events which are less controlled.)

- Finally, can you recommend source for stanchions?

Any thoughts/comments will be greatly appreciated.  Please feel free to

e-mail me off-list.

Thanks,

Lenora Henson

Curator, Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site