From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:23:52 EDT
I think that there are entirely reasonable situations in which an officer of
an institution can have art or cultural objects installed in their offices and
facilities as has been outlined in several thoughtful posts. But, I think it
is incumbent upon those who are responsible for the collections to establish
policies and guidelines for such use in accordance with their mission and the
preservation of their collections. I don't think that any of us would want to
see a president or a chancellor "go shopping" to furnish their office (I have
heard of this happening!).

Situations like this are delicate and not unlike those in sexual harassment,
where the unequal balance of power, exercised in the workplace, can mean that
a friendly "would like" can intimidate and coerce. I would think that most
Presidents or officers would be reasonable or understanding - but certainly not
all.

So I would think that it would behoove most in a potential situation like
this to have written requirements as to security, handling, and preservation.
Allow only objects that have had a conservation survey to go out - much as you
would assess an object requested for loan. Actually, a painting may be at more
risk than a book. I would be concerned with light exposure, relative humidity
fluctuations, tobacco smoke, pests, and vibration (Universities are notorious
for construction projects - ever see objects dance and shake over a mile away
from a pile driver in action?).  Also museum staff should have regular access
to any object that is away from their institution.

So developing policies that apply to this situation in writing, and having a
list of preapproved objects for this sort of loan,  can go a long way to
addressing any potential problems and conflicts.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
2930 South Birch Street