From:
Roberta Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:33:54 EDT
Often its best to start by identifying what YOUR goals are for teaching the
seminars. Then, at the conclusion of each session you might consider having
them keep a daily journal (and artists journals can look beautiful or funky
or basic - and more fun to write in!) in which they have to answer one or two
specific questions each day that you devise such as What did I learn today
that I can apply to my work, and/or what part of this day didn't work for me
at all....or.... From that information in their dailies, you can actually get
some numbers like how many (or what percentage) of people understood the
content, how long does it take for them to do the work or "get it", and judge
how effective your teaching is too. Essentially, they must write directly at
the end of the session. You read them, send them back (or hand them back) to
them, they do it again at the next one - as you read, measurments of what is
going on can appear as threads through their text. It's qualitative as well
as quantitative analysis, but it needs to based on the goals, or what your
trying to teach - the outcome your're hoping for andwhat the funders paid for.

Hope this helps.

Roberta Adams
Winterthur
Wilmington, Delaware