Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:11:54 +0800
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free web compendium,
read weekly by 7,400 readers in more than 197 countries.

***   "I'm just always delighted with the content, and therefore save it for
my Friday lunch reading. I have learned much, enjoyed much, and continue to
do so. Thanks so very much for this wonderful addition to my week(s).By the
way - IMPOSSIBLE to choose a category of greatest use/interest"  - User
Feedback 2009 ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org and click on the news links) in this
week's edition include:

**  'Jihad' jitters at Met
The Metropolitan Museum of Art quietly pulled images of the Prophet Mohammed
from its Islamic collection and may not include them in a renovated
exhibition area slated to open in 2011

**  Turkey also needs museums to confront its past
They suggested that Mamak Prison in Ankara and Metris Prison in Istanbul,
both infamous for torture during coups d'état, be repurposed into museums

**  Treasure found off La Manga
Buried beneath shells, rocks and sand, for 2,600 years, while the
construction boom has been completely changing the surrounding landscape, a
treasure of incalculable value has lain just off La Manga

**  Why are so many of St Petersburg's renowned art-nouveau mansions being
left to rot?
Poignant, because many of the erstwhile dachas were just piles of ash - and
fire had always been the great fear for dacha-dwellers

**  What to Do With a Decomposing Frankenstein
One of the most important subjects we teach in the L. Jeffrey Selznick
School of Film Preservation nitrate vaults is how to identify, inspect, and
treat decomposing nitrate film

****  HAPPY TRAVELLERS - BEST FARES & DEALS FOR 2010! ****
MUSEUM-TRAVELLER.COM  -  Global Museum's Travel Service For Business and
Pleasure - the  leading provider of online museum travel, established in
1998.
40,000 in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Group Reservations.   CLICK HERE
http://www.museum-traveller.com - Use IE browser
Airfares, Car Rentals, Accommodation, Destination Guides, Condo's and
Cruises!  Provider is a member of I.A.T.A.

**  Pirate skull stolen from German museum
A 600-year-old skull believed to be that of a legendary German pirate has
been stolen from a museum in Hamburg

**  Stolen Monet found in Poland
A Monet painting that was cut from its frame 10 years ago at a museum in
western Poland and replaced with a copy painted on cardboard has been
recovered

**  Ming Imperial Granary Museum opens to public
Here people can view the Beijing-Hangzhou Grand Canal, learn about the
history of canal transportation and grain storage in imperial granary in the
Ming and Qing dynasties as well as experience the life of being a granary
head using the millstone

**  US architect withdraws from Jerusalem museum
Leading US architect Frank O. Gehri has announced he is withdrawing from the
Museum of Tolerance project in occupied Jerusalem which detractors say is
being built over an ancient Muslim graveyard

**  Bomb donated to Kodiak museum goes out with a bang
The ordnance was recently donated to the Kodiak Military History Museum by a
local resident, but the museum director determined it was more than just an
interesting artefact

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 446?
Join the Global Museum Social Network - Meet & Make Friends, Share Photos &
Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group.
Become one of our first 450 members -  446 have already met online.  Join
Today At  http://globalmuseum.ning.com/

**  Italy Presses Its Fight for a Statue at the Getty
One summer day in 1964 a fishing trawler from Fano, a small seaside town a
few miles south of this provincial capital on the Adriatic, unexpectedly
dredged up a life-size bronze statue from the ocean's depths

**  After the elephant dung
Hemmed in by success and controversy, and fearing for his art and sanity,
Chris Ofili headed in a new direction

**  Digital museum's object lesson in NI history
A History of the World aims to collect objects with local and global
resonances, with a hope of providing different perspectives on the events
which shaped our world

**  Museums and Lawmakers Mull Sales of Art
Representatives from museums in the New York City area came together to
debate the issue in a State Assembly Hearing Room in Lower Manhattan - a
round-table meeting billed as the first discussion of deaccessioning among
state policymakers and museum professionals in a public setting

**  Rare Hildebrand motorcycle set to fetch high price at auction
The first machine to be named "a motorcycle", the twin-cylinder,
water-cooled, four-stroke was developed by the German brothers Henry and
Wilhelm Hildebrand in collaboration with Alois Wolfmüller and his mechanic
Hans Geisenhof

TWEET TWEET - Follow Us On Twitter!   http://www.twitter.com/globalmuseum.
6,472 News tweets, 647 Followers worldwide and growing fast

**  Is A Mummified Bird Inside Ancient Mummy?
Researchers are using the latest imaging technology on an Egyptian mummy to
try to unlock secrets of the ancient world, including whether a mysterious
packet inside her was an offering to the gods to help secure a place in the
afterlife

**  A Place for Love and Hiccups
The last time I was there, I had been appalled by the declarations of love
scratched on the massive bones of mammals by numerous couples who have
visited the museum over the years

**  Sam the koala to attract thousands
Museum Victoria's newest exhibit Sam the koala will capture the hearts of
thousands of Australian and international visitors in a similar way to Phar
Lap

**  Art Dealer to Run Art Museum: How Risky is That?
MOCA clearly leaked the news in advance to allow the initial shock to die
down and to allow purists to be able to process the five stages of mourning
prior to Monday's formal announcement

Become a FAN -  Join Us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

**  Skeleton found buried at Yorkshire Museum
At this stage it is very hard to work out much about him or her, but they
were buried east to west which suggests a Christian burial

**  University Heritage: Present and Future
Museum Gustavianum

**  Modern Love
at the Virginia Centre for Architecture

**  Making the Connection: Museums, Visitors and New Technologies
The Canadian Heritage Inform

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, PODCASTS, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their
RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable WORLD TRAVEL, the GM Social Network,
Museum Online Document Store, Podcasts, Museum Accredited Courses, Products
& Services.

http://www.globalmuseum.org     First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!

BLOG READERS  & MUSEUM WEB SITES - Use our  RSS news feed on your site, from
this address: http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/GM2/gm.xml