Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 1994 13:05:04 EDT
I wholly agree with Linda Young's assessment of architects.  They can be useful
but must be kept chained at all times.  Likewise the structural, electrical, mec
hanical engineers.  The best protection is to establish a coordinator with
 FULL
veto power at the museum.  This on-site person should have the assistance of an
experienced and knowledgable consultant who can review concepts, materials speci
fications, traffic patterns, lighting/fenestration, and the myriad other
 details
 of conservation and functional concerns implied by a new or renovated building.
  This consultant, in concert with the museum's coordinator, should share in the
 full veto power over the architects & engineers.

I have just completed (almost, at least) managing the renovation of a historic b
uilding that houses a museum, including the design and construction of a (presum
ably) state-of-the-art collections storage facility.  This was accomplished
 from
 basic concept for the project to virtual completion in two years (a miraculousl
y short time).  This was a very tough project as every one of the "design profes
sionals" hired was inexperienced in museum design and attempted by ignorance,
arrogance, or negligence to undermine the goals of the project.  The contractors
 were equally poor in their attitude.  Despite all this, persistent attention on
 my part to all the details has resulted in a good result, albeit not optimal
 by
 any means.  Working in a university environment has made the process even more
difficult.

As a conservator/administrator/museology consultant for about 25 years, I have s
een virtually every version of museum design nightmare, including many of those
built within the last few years.  I could easily make a very long list of
 potential problems
gleaned from hundreds of real examples.
   Unfortunately, it is much more difficult to make even a short list of buildin
g projects that are well-done.  I don't mean perfect, but merely acceptable.  It
 is frustrating that I usually get to see the problems after
they are "cast in concrete", since most institutions forget to ask for advice un
til after the problem has been created.  It is much easier and cheaper to solve
the problems on paper than it is after they are immortalized in steel and
 concrete.
Good luck with your projects.  You will need it!

Geoffrey Brown