From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 09:30:06 -0500
Sarah,

I could not hurt to put the info in both places. Mention it in your
experience section, and detail it in your skills section. If it is
important, it should be emphasized, whether the application asks for it or
not. You may very well have skills and experience the prospective employer
did not think to ask about, but which would be valuable.

I am not aware of any particular style or format that is standard for the
museum field. Most employers, including myself, look for length and type(s)
of experience and specific skills, including computer skills, classes and
certifications, and professional activities. I would suggest making sure
your education and experience are at the front, optimally on the first
page. Then the rest of the information you would like employers to have can
be on the following page(s). Do not concern yourself with the length of
your CV/resume, just make sure it says what you want it to say right up
front. As a side note, a CV is typically loger and all inclusive, where a
resume is often shorter and more focused. Most of the time it does not
matter which you submit, as long as the above route is taken.

Your resume can be tailored to specific positions and institutions by
highlighting or detailing certain elements of your experience, but the most
important part of the tailoring is your cover letter. Make sure it includes
why you are qualified for the position in question, and what you believe
you have to offer the prospective institution. Never send out a letter that
will be perceived as general or a form letter. They will never even look at
your resume.

Good luck.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Sarah Williams
             Sent by: Museum                                            To
             discussion list           [log in to unmask]
             <[log in to unmask]                                          cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Question about Resumes
             05/26/2004 11:26
             PM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

I was wondering if there is a certain style/format of resume that is best
suited for a museum professional, or aspiring one?

One thing I am concerned with is should I have a section listing skills, or
keep it to as it applies to my work experience? If I did the latter, it
would not reflect all the computer software I am able to use.  How can I
best incorporate this information into my resume, since not all positions
require an application which would likely request this information?

Thanks

Sarah

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).