Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 07:19:58 -0500
Mark, old chap, how many weeks do you have at your disposal? The whole damn
town is a museum and, as the good doctor said to Boswell, "When a man tires
of London, he tires of life"!

Some of my personal favourites, not in order of priority,:

The British Museum, partly for the Elgin Marbles but much more for the
Sutton Hoo and other treasures. Also because there is an excellent small
shop nearby to buy Scottish woolens.

The Science Museum, with a remarkable collection and good exhibits on
science and industry, much from an historic perspective.

The Imperial War Museum, one of the finest military museums in the world,
with exhibits from the First World War and later. For earlier material, you
will have to go to the National Army Museum or the Naval Mueum, both
interesting museums in their own right.

The Museum of London, which deals with the history of London itself, not far
from The Tower of London. The exhibits in the White Tower are interesting
from the perspective of restoration and the Gold House is not to be missed.

The Museum of the Moving Image and the London Transportation Museum, both
specialized museums well worth a visit.

Apsley House, former residence of the Duke of Wellington, for anyone
interested in the man and his period.

Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's Cathedral, especially the Abbey, where one
continually finds oneself walking on a great person's grave.

The  National Portrait Gallery - I could spend days there alone.

I could go on and on and on (and I apologize to the museums I have not
mentioned. My intent was only to give him a sense of the great variety of
museums and sites London has to offer.

There was a quite dreadful film or play (I can't recall which) in the 1950s
called "Now that April's Here". Canadian critic Clyde Gilmour deferred a
visit to London in order to review it. Quoth he, "Oh, to be in London, now
that Now that April's Here is here. A splendid thought.

Enjoy your visit. I find that alternating museum and pub visits works well.

Harry
Harry Needham
Canadian War Museum

(819) 776-8612    FAX: (819) 776-8623