From:
Diane Brenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 16:35:54 -0900
John Meredith must be thinking or an exhibition that included an American
Flag on the floor that was at the Visual Arts Center of Alaska several
years ago.  The local American Legion got pretty involved with
demonstrations out front.  The Anchorage Museum was not involved with
this exhibition (except that we were all paying attention.)  The VACA
closed their doors soon after this exhibit - sometime in 1992 or 3.  We
have just inherited VACA files (about 70 boxes) that are in total
disarray.  I remember seeing a couple of boxes containing catalogs and
clippings about this exhibition, but we have just containerized the whole
collection because our storage area is being renovated.  I don't expect
that we will be able to offer any reference material from that collection
for at least the next year.
     I would expect that some VAC people would say that this exhibit was
the beginning of the end, as the issue clouded funding from various local
sources - or there was the perception that it did.  If you are desperate
to know more, I could probably find someone who was involved during the
time for you to talk to.
     Diane Brenner
     Museum Archivist, Anchorage Museum of History and Art