Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 1995 16:41:27 EST
According to Ken Yellis:

> On Wed, 4 Jan 1995 11:50:34 -0500,
> Holly Trimper  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >I'm curious: has there ever been a survey or inventory as to the type of
> >museums and folks on this list?  What I mean is, what percent of us
> >museum-l-ers are natural history museum people, how many history, how many
> >art, etc etc.?  I realize that an exact count is impossible because people
..................> >sites.  Only 9% natural history!  Eek!  I was wondering if
 those

> Also, the numbers of museums say nothing about their relative sizes and,
> therefore, staffing levels.  Many natural history museums are huge -- ours
> is midsized, I guess -- and some art museums are as well; a very large
> number of history museums and especially historic sites, on the other hand,
> have few or no paid staff.

Nor do the numbers of museums say anything about the size of
thecollections - maybe only 9% natural history museums - but
these hold more than 50% of the collections in terms of
quantity ... according to the AAM Museums Count data --

--
Paisley S. Cato, Ph.D.                          e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Curator of Collections                          phone:  703-666-8634