From:
"T. Reed" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 16:07:16 -0500
A quick question for those who catalog archaeological and/or ethnographic
materials:

The Office of the State Archaeologist of the State of Iowa is
experimenting with different cataloging techniques and materials--
        Can anyone suggest an alternate way to mark the catalog number
on daub or pottery?  We are currently either writing the catalog number
directly on the object with a permanent waterproof ink (not my policy,
but the lab manager is not opposed to a permanent mark on the artifact),
OR we are using a small label with the catalog number on it directly
affixed to the artifact, with no sealer used.  This last method is
especially the case with potsherds, the former method primarily used with
daub.

Timothy Reed
Dept. of Anthropology
University of Iowa