From:
Henry Grunder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 11:34:18 EDT
I'm a little unclear about this label language business. For
instance, when the Canadians speak of "French," do they mean
the language of the Hexagon and the Academy? Or do they mean
the dialect used in Canada.
Similarly, when persons speak of "Spanish," do they mean
Castillian . . . let us say, the language of educated persons
of the Iberian Peninsula? (though likely not Catalan, Asturian,
Gallego, or other Iberian dialects)? Or do they mean any of the
several dialects of North and South America?
Finally, let us say (hypothetically) that I visit an exhibit of
"Pennsylvania Dutch" decorative arts. Am I entitled, since that
is part of my heritage, to expect to find bilingual labels in English
("American" English, of course) and "Pennsylfawnische
Dietsch," or Pennsylvania Dutch, a written language contrary to
some opinions, which I understand? Continuing the hypo, if I visited
such an exhibit in which _my_ heritage was dishonored by
monolingual (English only) labels, only to later visit a
different exhibit - _at the same museum_ - in which the heritage of
some other group _did_ get bi- or multilingual labels, am I not
entitled to object? sue? bring political pressure to bear?
A slippery slope indeed.