Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 07:36:18 -0800
A couple of caveats.....I would strenuously recommend against wrapping
chrysotile or any other mineral specimen in Gladwrap. Creating envelopes
with anoxic plastics that can be heat- or impulse-sealed works MUCH
bettre. In fact, doing this can also save you the step of trying to
consolidate the specimen if there is not a real need to do so. Creating
the barrier envelope is a pricess I have used for mercury vapor-emitting
cinnabar; it also works well for containing fibres. There are also
Mylar-backed films that can be used in the same way if visibility/viewing
of the specimen is not important. COnsolidating and wrapping the specimen
may change it more than you realize, or desire.

SAlly Shelton
Duirector, Collections Care and Conservation
San Diego Natural History Museum
Post-graduate diploma course, geological conservation, Cambridge University