Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 09:03:53 -0400
I have had considerable experience with the development of performance
indicators in the public sector and - more specifically - in museums. Most
of the work in this area done by the institutions I have looked at has
concentrated on measures of EFFICIENCY (e.g., how many square meters of
gallery space per security officer? or how many artifacts per cubic meter of
collections storage?). While these are all well and good for satisfying the
bureaucrats and the bean-counters, they completely miss the boat in that
they do not in any way address the question of the museum's EFFECTIVENESS.
This is something that my colleagues and I have tried to address, as have my
colleagues further afield, Dr. Friedrich Waidacher in Graz and Carol Scott
in Sydney, Australia.

I would be happy to share my ideas with you - as well as the measures we are
evolving in the Canadian Museum of Civilization Corporation, which I will be
leaving at the end of the year to consult on things which include
performance measurement!

You can contact me at: [log in to unmask] or, in my private
capacity, at: [log in to unmask]

(Don't blame me; it's my son's server and HE named it!)

Museum-L" (without the quotes).