From:
Cynthia Hoover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 14:10:32 -0500
OK, here's the dilemma:  A staff member loaned the museum items to use in a 1995 exhibit, and the employee resigned (not under the best of terms) before the exhibit ended. However, the museum was allowed to keep the items for the duration of the exhibit.  We have contacted this person numerous times and they won't come to pick up their stuff.   We sent a registered letter stating that we had the property and they had 90 days to acknowledge that they wanted it, or we would assume the property was abandoned and deal with it at our discretion.  The person received the letter, but refused to sign for it, thus returning it to us.  They then called asking about the contents of the letter, which we told them.  They were upset (go figure), and we have had no further contact with them.

Has anyone else had an experience like this?  We do not want to be 'Grandma's Attic' for unclaimed property, but we don't want to risk bad publicity if we don't have to (and this person would be vengeful).  Any help would be appreciated.