From:
Fiona Dejardin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 10:34:24 -0400
Erin and David--there is a recycled market for Halon and it is legal to
obtain recycled Halon.  I would warn you however, that the cost of
replacement is extremely high (and will probably increase as the gas
gets used up), also, the various equipment such as valves, etc., is also
becoming rare and this increases costs of maintenance, so you might want
to consider converting to an environmentally friendly alternative.  We
have Halon, however, some of it has either dumped or leaked and
maintenance of the system has become so detrimental that we are
considering shutting down the system.  We are looking for alternatives,
but unfortunately they are all very costly.  In my research about the
Halon that dumped I did not come across anything that stated the gas
would harm the collections.  Once it dumps, if you have the doors open
or openings such as heating vents etc.) it quickly escapes into the
atmosphere, causing a bigger hole in the ozone.  The halon gas does,
however, come out with a great deal of force and can move objects if
they are not secured.
Fiona Dejardin
Director, The Yager Museum of Art and Culture
Hartwick College
Oneonta, NY 13820