From:
Janice Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 12:06:46 -0500
The York Archaeological Trust in York, England, used a "redundant church"
for their first museum about 15 (or more?) years ago.  They could probably
also tell you about the conversion of the crypt of York Minster (the
Cathedral) to an in situ museum about the underlying Roman fortress.
Unfortunately I don't have an address, but I'd be surprised if they didn't
have a website.

If you are interested more in the architectural challenges (rather than the
ecclesiastical considerations) you might also want to look at the inaugural
exhibit of the National Museum of the American Indian at the Customs House
in NYC.   They did an incrediable job of creating an exhibit over a
pre-existing monumental marble counter.

Finally, are you look ing for total re-use or co-existence of museum and
religious function.   For the latter, many churches in Europe and the
Southwest have created exhibit-like areas to educate the tourist, while
preserving their ability to also serve their parishoners.

Janice Klein
Director
MItchell Museum of the American Indian, Kendall College