From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 11:57:41 -0500
Hi folks - If any of you can give a fellow calligrapher some help, I'd
appreciate it.  Here is her problem:

>Emerging from the far reaches of cyberspace, I have some questions for
>anyone who knows about restoration of old documents.
>
>I have been asked to restore the lettering on a US Civil War document
>from 1865. I think this is crazy because it seems like it will invalidate
>it. Is this not authentic any longer if I trace over it? The owner says
>she has looked into it and it isn't worth anything other than sentimental
>value so she says she will do it herself if I don't do it.
>
>I am considering returning it because ethically I feel rather awkward
>about it and I am concerned that it is irreplaceable if I ruin it. I made
>suggestions such as making a facimile or doing it separately and copying
>it onto an acetate overlay, but she isn't interested.
>
>The paper has lots of rough spots where it has been folded. The
>handwritten words are partially visible so I must work with what is
>there. It isn't just a simple fill in the blanks certificate. I am
>concerned that if I blow it I will get into trouble so I thought about
>having her sign a release. Has anyone ever used a contract for that?
>
>Please contact me if you can be of help.
>
>Thanks...
>Karen Charatan

>Montvale, NJ USA

She also wrote in a later post:
" There are
about 20 blanks where things like "five, eighth, Powell, 1st"....etc. get
filled in. It is an army discharge paper from the Civil War. (Not
Lincoln's handwriting or anything!) I would want to keep it as is even
though you can barely read parts of it, but she thinks it isn't valuable
to anyone but her so she can do what she wants. She says she checked into
it, but somehow I doubt it. Here in Nowheresville, who would she check
with... I doubt that there are that many knowledgeable people around
here. I really feel strongly about retouching the signatures!"

Thanks a bunch, folks, and if y'all ever have any questions about
calligraphy, type design, paleography, use of computers in lettering design,
and so forth, I will be glad to forward them to this list.  They're a great
group - Anne
Anne Lane
Curatorial Assistant
Museum of York County
4621 Mt. Gallant Road
Rock Hill, SC  29732-9905
803-329-2121 ext 122  *  [log in to unmask]