From:
Anna Maria Fontes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:14:46 -0700
Archaeologists, I've heard,hoard their findings in
university cellars pending publication that rarely
occurs.
Quotation from Ron Fellows, CM, Editor, The Glyph
Archaeological Institute of America, San Diego
Associate Director, Curator
Heritage of the Americas Museum

Ron:
You sound like you are trying to stir up controversy,
alright I'll bite.  Archaeologists not only provide a
source for cultural museums in excavating the unique and
artistic examples of a group's materials, but also the
large amount of ecofacts which contribute a vast amount
of knowledge.  These ecofacts consisting of food
remains, unusable items, and other garbage are
definitely not museum quality.  To the archaeologist
however, it is a treasure of data.  All of this
information is published in journals, site reports, and
theses, which is usually not read by the public.  This
is the question to be addressed: how do we make
archaeology interesting to the public?  One venue is of
course cultural museums.  If there could be an emphasis
on how items were recovered, restored, and interpreted,
perhaps the public would give more credence to the work
of archaeologists.

Anna Fontes
Anthropology Graduate Student