From:
Sylvia Bruner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2011 16:21:24 -0400
Hi all,

currently my institution is in a quandary over a few items.  We cannot seem to make a decision regarding a policy concerning photographs vs. photocopies.  In the past, only photographs printed on original (i.e. - old) material, or actual "photographic" paper were accessioned into the collection.  The problem that we are seeing is that we may be limiting ourselves by not accepting "photocopied" or modern reproduced images.  Anybody have a policy they would be willing to share?

We are having the same issue over our document collection as well.  Again, only "originals' in the past were accessioned.  But, what if the "original" no longer exists and the only piece likely to come into our possession is some researcher's copied collection?  Thoughts?

Just like everybody else, we have very limited storage space so we have spent a lot of time arguing these issues.

Finally, my questions regarding feathers.  We already possess in our collection a number of feathered headdresses, which are in very good condition.  We have been offered others that are not.  They appear to be extremely dirty - they were on display for years, hanging on walls with nothing covering them, ever.  They do not appear to have much insect damage.  Any suggestions on great conservators?

Many thanks,
Sylvia

Sylvia Bruner
Assistant Director / Registrar