From:
Theresa McNichol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 22:47:58 -0400
> I lived and worked in Spain for over eight years and never had any
problems.
> Granted, I am male, over 6'2" and bilingual.  While I appreciate the
> cautionary postings, one must be careful in ANY urban setting.  Obviously,
> these situations are not unique to Spain and I was glad to read that local
> Spaniards assisted in helping "save" the tourists from being taken.

Hi John,

Though I was not fortunate enough to be in Spain for an extended period of
time, I spent time in Madrid, Avila, Trujillo, Guadudlupe and Toledo and I
too found the Spanish to be very warm, friendly and helpful--and I do not
speak the languageand am female. I asked directions from a man who did not
know English yet wanted to help me so badly that he counted the lights for
me in Spanish and on his fingers directing me to the right street so I could
return the rental car on time.

Of course, use common sense but don't miss all the late evening activity on
the streets and at the tapas bars.

Terri McNichol
Ren Associates
Princeton NJ