From:
"Chaplin, Simon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 17:46:01 -0000
Adriaan,

You could try Thwaite Mill in Leeds, UK. It was primarily a stone mill
grinding minerals for putty, but they also milled rape seed for oil there.
There is some information on the web at:
http://www.leeds.gov.uk/tourinfo/attract/museums/thwaite.html

There is also an early linseed oil gin building at Amberley Museum in Sussex
- http://www.fastnet.co.uk/amberley.museum/gin.htm

Best wishes
Simon Chaplin

Simon Chaplin
Senior Curator, Royal College of Surgeons of England

Hunterian Museum
Odontological Museum
Wellcome Museum of Pathology
Wellcome Museum of Anatomy

T. +44 (0)171 973 2188
F. +44 (0)171 405 4438
E. [log in to unmask]
W. http://www.rcseng.ac.uk/public/museums/museums.htm

Adriaan Linters wrote:

> Does anyone know of museums and/or historic sites preserving and
> interpreting the history of oil production from oleagenous seeds
> (especially colza, rape-seed, linseed,...).
> There is actually a project in Flanders to transform a listed small oil
> crushing factory into a museum and history center on vegetable oil - once
> very important trade in this region. The site should also present the use
> of vegetable oil, for lighting, soap production, paint, etc...
> We should like to come into contact with similar projects (museums,
> historic sites) elsewhere in the world - to exchange information and
> documentation.
>
> Please do contact me or :
>
> Kleio nv heritage consultants
> Vlamingstraat 4
> B-8560   Wevelgem
> Flanders - Belgium
> http://www.conservare.be/kleio

> ---
> A. Linters
> scientific director
> Conservare nv the European Heritage Forum
> Vlamingstraat 4
> B-8560  Wevelgem
> Flanders-Belgium
> tel. (+32)56.253373