From:
Museum of Ashe County History <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:05:33 -0400
Firearms are at the top of the list of desirable targets for thieves. I
cannot display firearms or edged weapons in our Temporary Museum because we
do not have adequate security.  In our permanent quarters, a 1904 courthouse
building that we are restoring, we will have hardened storage in one of the
vault rooms originally used for the Clerk of Court's records storage.

Since the 1960's, the military has built tough arms lockers with tight
security procedures.  Most of us do not require that level of protection,
but a hardened storage room is certainly the best option. Gun safes are a
possible solution if you must store in areas that are accessible to
personnel or visitors.  You will need more than one safe, however, as most
gun safes only hold a few pieces.  You should also insist on a humidity
control device inside the safe.  Because of the intensely attractive nature
of the artifacts, even the use of a safe may not be enough defense.  It is
possible, with minimal planning, to pick up the entire safe and leave with
it, to be opened later at leisure and with tools.

The greatest concern may be personnel who have, or can acquire, access codes
and permissions.  I was speaking recently with the curator of another museum
with a firearms collection, and he told me that his biggest losses had
occurred from pilferage by a volunteer staff member.

However your pieces are stored, you should take a complete and careful
inventory, recording the make, model, serial number (if present), other
identifying marks (such as carved initials) and condition, plus photographs
of each piece from different sides and angles.  Good records will assist law
enforcement if anything turns up missing.

Another issue for firearms is storage conditions.  Because of the constant
danger of rust and corrosion, humidity control is essential.  Any handling
should be done with white gloves to prevent attack by the moisture and acids
in fingerprints.  Metal surfaces should be treated with microporous wax or
wiped down with a cloth impregnated with silicone or clear light machine
oil.  The bores should be cleaned and wiped with a patch coated with
cosmoline or gun grease.  Guns should NOT be stored in gun pouches, holsters
or gun sleeves, as these can hold moisture and/or react chemically with
metal or with wood finishes.

Don Long
Curator
The Museum of Ashe County History, Inc.