From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:42:59 -0500
First of all let me say it was I who misspelled it in my original post.
Ironic, really, since my exhibit fabricator and I spent three days trying to
determine what the spelling was so we could look it up on the net and in
catalogs. (BTW, Sintra is also a town in Portugal. It used to be the summer
resort of Portugal's kings and Moorish lords in Lisbon. I love the net)
Then I went and mistyped the word in my subject line. Oh well, if that's the
worst mistake I make this year, 2001 will be my best ever.

Second, I want to thank everybody for their help. I forwarded all
suggestions to my exhibit fabricator. The volume was so large he will think
twice before asking me a question like THAT again.

Third, Amy Polly of the Legends of the Game Baseball Museum in Arlington
Texas had this to say about Sintra in a personal email that was not, I
believe, shared with the list:

"Our museum has used Sintra almost exclusively in the past.  However, when I
came aboard as Curator and now Director, I discovered that Sintra is made of
PVC, one of the most volatile and damaging plastics.  As it degrades, it can
release hydrochloric acid.  We are now using acid free foam core for most
exhibit labels, photos, etc." (quoted with permission)

I did not know this, no one else mentioned this issue, and I didn't see it
on the list. I thought I would share it with the list and invite discussion.

--
Matthew White
Director of Museums