From:
Adrienne DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 18:40:57 -0800
I vote for the nefarious influence of the blockbuster exhibition.  Museums
discovered that people would not only pay to get in to a "special" show,
but would line up to buy tickets in advance.  Then came the idea of the
donation, which plenty of people warned was the stalking horse for required
paid admission.  Now museums are radical when they try to stick to the idea
of the donation.
Adrienne DeAngelis