From:
Joel Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 1995 09:31:27 EST5EDT
>DATE:   12/26/95 11:59 AM

>RE:     Copy of: ADA Compliance for Multimedia Exhibits

>I am looking for documentation on ADA requirements for exhibits which use a
>multimedia computer system.  This system would incorporate sound (possibly
>narration) and moving video as well as textual data on the screen.  What are th
>requirements for monitor placement (the monitor would be a touch system and
>therefore the user-interface).  Also, does there have to be some kind of
>closed-captioning for the narration in the computer video segment?

>Thanks

>Mark C. Vang
>Freya Ventures

Hi Mark.

We recently acquired two publications which may be of interest:

Accessible Exhibitions: Testing the Reality, by Elizabeth K. Ziebarth and
Zahava D. Doering, Jan 1993, Report 93-1(does have recommendations for
manipulatives and audiovisuals in exhibitions)

Equal Access: Smithsonian Publications and Events, by Elizabeth K. Ziebarth and
Zahava D. Doering, Feb 1994, Report 93-4

Both published by:
Institutional Studies Office
Smithsonian Institution
A&I 1271 MRC 405
900 Jefferson Drive, S.W.
Washington, DC 20560
202-786-2289

Sorry, I don't know the cost, as some one else ordered them.  I'm glad you
brought this subject up, as I need to review it also.

Regards,
Joel Clark
Science Center of Connecticut