From:
"Tenuth, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:05:07 -0500
Your operational situation is rather rare and full of potential complications.  I also think you are going to have a difficult time finding another example to compare with; especially since you have a 3-institution "arrangement" without documentation, rather than just two.  I would contact the AAM's legal department and see how they view your situation.  My guess is that the AAM would suggest you establish a written agreement as soon as possible with strictly defined conditions and dated for a limited period of time so that your institution is protected. The greatest dangers are that 1) something will happen to an object that is not yours, but that you are responsible for (theft or damage) and 2) legal problems of ownership since you have no agreement in writing.  Both of these problems are obviously interrelated.  You would want to strictly define which institution owns what objects, how you are required to care for the objects in question, any legal or financial obligations each institution has and who has access under what conditions, to name just a few specifics.  You might also want to separate the three different collections.  Ultimately you would want to extricate your institution from this situation even if you can strictly and legally define your liabilities and responsibilities.  Your access to these collections may have provided some advantage to you in the past, but I'm guessing any advantage is outweighed by your liabilities. Talk to AAM first, and then proceed based on what works for your institution.  And always add a dash of common sense.  If something sounds wrong, it probably is wrong. I know this sounds rather negative, but your institution is at risk and your first obligation is to protect your institution.

Jeff Tenuth

Natural History Collection Manager

Indiana State Museum