From:
janice klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:28:43 -0500
I actually avoided addressing this in my last post since I didn't want to
dilute my main point about the "user".

It is my understanding (from fairly limited reading) that the Iraqi National
Museum was a colonial undertaking by the British following World War I when
they took over the territory from the Ottoman Empire.  While it may have
existed in some form before then Gertrude Bell (an amazingly complex
character) devoted much of her later life to organizing it -- when she
wasn't creating the borders of the country (really!) and campaigning to
bring in King Faisal from Lebanon to be the first "elected" ruler.

This is not to say that a museum fostered by a colonial power cannot become
an important part of an independent nation's culture (I believe Nigeria is a
good example), only that the Iraqi people might not have had the strong
connection to their museum's collection that many of us are assuming they
did.

janice

Janice Klein
Director, Mitchell Museum of the American Indian, Kendall College
www.mitchellmuseum.org