From:
Herbert Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2008 08:33:45 -0700
Hi, Everyone,

StayCation. Wow, that's one ugly, made-up word I'll probably have to suffer
through hearing it used over the next few months. I guess though that's what
I've been doing for the past 11 years ever since I gave up driving because of
vision loss. As someone who doesn't drive and who loves museums, I would
suggest that this is a good time to get to know the mass transit system, and
its administration, in your area. Is there mass transit in your area? Do you
know where the bus stops near the museum? Does Amtrak come through your town?
Try working with the local transit system in several joint ventures. For
example, set aside free (or discounted) Seniors/Students/Family Days:
free/discounted transit fare/admission fee. These collaborations would be good
for museums and good for transit ridership. Bus ridership is on the rise here
in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois, because of higher gas prices.

You might look abroad to see what other countries do. Certainly not every
family in Europe, for example, piles into a car to visit a museum. I admit that
it will be a challenge here in the U.S. because our public transportation
system is so poorly designed and funded.

Regards,
Herb